Including cancellation policy and feedback/complaints procedure
Oban Sailing Club. Version 3 valid from 28/02/2023
As you will probably appreciate, it can take a lot of planning for us to put on courses which require multiple instructors, safety boats and equipment. To ensure that we can provide the best possible training experience it is necessary that we apply some sensible conditions to all our bookings. The following is a list of those conditions for booking and/or taking part in a course at Oban Sailing Club (OSC). If you have any questions regarding these or any other aspect of the course or booking, email firstname.lastname@example.org. By booking a course at OSC you confirm that you understand and agree to these conditions.
● You will receive an automatic confirmation of the receipt of your booking. If
you do not receive this please contact us at email@example.com
● If you have any concerns about the booking, please contact us using the email
address above. If there are any issues with the booking OSC will contact you by
email as soon as possible after your booking.
● You will receive an email containing joining instructions, generally between 2 weeks
and a month before the course begins. This will cover what you need to bring,
confirmation of start and finish times, and any other relevant information for the
● General information regarding all courses at OSC is available at
www.obansailingclub.org/training-f-a-q/. If you have any questions that are not
covered here, again please email us using the email address above.
● Please note that all courses at OSC are organised by volunteers, and as such
responses may be slower than would be ideal, especially at busy times of year, and
may be at any time of day.
Consent Forms and Medical Information
● All answers on the booking form must be correct to the best of your knowledge, and
you must contact us if you find a mistake or any details change at any time between
the booking being made and the end of the course.
● An emergency contact who will be available for contact during the course, and able
to come to the sailing club if necessary, must be nominated in the booking form.
● The responsible instructor may need to have a confidential discussion about any
medical conditions with the participant (or a responsible adult if the participant is
under 18) at the beginning of the course to ensure that the instructor is aware and
fully understands the condition and how this may affect the participant during the
● All information will be stored confidentially following the OSC Data Protection Policy.
The policy is available at www.obansailingclub.org/osc-data-protection-policy-v2/
● The participant (and their responsible adult when the participant is under 18)
understands the risks inherent in sailing, powerboating, and other activities offered by
OSC, and that while OSC has assessed and controlled the risks involved as far as
possible, some risk will always remain.
● The participant agrees that they will behave responsibly and respectfully to others
during the course, and will follow all instructions given by instructors or safety boat
● If the participant’s behaviour does not meet this standard or the instructor feels that
the participant is causing a risk to themselves or others then the instructor may
remove the participant from the course, and in the case of participants under the age
of 18, request that their emergency contact collects them.
● OSC reserves the right to cancel any course or booking necessary, due to insufficient
participant numbers, unavailability of instructors, breakdown of equipment, errors in
the booking process, extreme weather, or any other operational reason.
● OSC will make reasonable efforts to avoid cancelling any course or booking where
there are sufficient participants signed up, and whenever possible cancellations will
take place at least two weeks prior to the start of the course.
● Where possible, OSC will offer an alternative to the cancelled course or booking.
● If OSC cancels a course then a full refund will be given as soon after cancelation as
● If a participant chooses to withdraw from a course at least four weeks prior to the
beginning of the course, or within 5 days of booking, a full refund will be given.
● If a participant chooses to withdraw from a course less than four weeks prior to the
beginning of the course:
○ a full refund will be offered where their place is rebooked by someone else
○ a 50% refund will be offered where the course is still at or above the minimum
number of participants required to run after the withdrawal of the participant.
● If a participant withdraws from a course after the beginning of the course, or is
removed from the course by the instructor as described in the “participant
agreement” above, no refund will be given.
● A full refund, partial refund or the option to transfer the booking to another course
may be offered in exceptional circumstances, at the discretion of the Training
Coordinator, Principal of the training centre, or Commodore of OSC. This will depend
on the exceptional circumstance and the feasibility of the course running without the
- Please note that whilst we will try our utmost to help all participants succeed, our courses are not intended to guarantee completion of training to a specified level, e.g. “RYA Level x”. Rather, our courses provide training working towards a specific level, given the abilities of the candidate and the prevailing conditions. Such circumstances may mean a participant is unable to reach a level of experience required to complete a formal qualification. Such circumstances are outwith our control and are not grounds for refund of fees.
Feedback and Complaints
- All participants are encouraged to provide verbal feedback to the instructor or senior instructor, either during or at the end of the course
- A suggestions box is available in the clubhouse
- All participants are invited to complete a short and anonymous feedback survey with the option to provide any feedback after the course has concluded
- If a participant wishes to discuss anything further, or to make a complaint, then they should contact the centre principal at firstname.lastname@example.org in the first instance.
- Complaints will be treated respectfully and confidentially. More details may be sought about the content of the complaint, and lessons that can be learned will be reviewed and implemented by the centre principal and/or the board of trustees
- Should this procedure fail to respond to the complaint in a satisfactory manner, details of how any complaints related to RYA Training can be escalated to the RYA are available at www.rya.org.uk/about-us/contact-us/comments-and-complaints